Subject: Re: (whorl) Horn's spirit (SPOILER)

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:58:52 +0000

on 2/11/01 9:37 AM, Jacob Corbin at webmaster at afriendlysbooks.com wrote:

> I agree with the posters who've pointed out that there was more of Horn in
> Silk than a set of
> memories.  I wonder, though, if we can pin down a time when Horn's spirit left
> Silk's body --
> somehow I doubt that Remora's passage was all that was involved.  I don't have
> my copy to
> hand, so does anyone remember if Horn/Silk's astral self still bore a
> resemblance to Horn
> when the ship was on Ocean?  If so, perhaps the final disposition of Horn's
> spirit was one of
> the subjects discussed in the meeting with the Urthly Scylla.

Did you miss my post "Who Is He?"  I discussed this there.  Silkhorn's
astral self partly resembles Horn on Ocean, but not on the mausoleum trip,
so the change took place between the two (the hyacinth passage doesn't drive
away Horn's spirit, it brings Silk to the realization of who he is).  I
don't think Silkhorn arranged the disposition of Horn's spirit with Scylla,
though: Silk talking with Remora, after Horn's spirit has departed, still
believes he is Horn, and this wouldn't be the case if the disposition of
Horn's spirit had been something he'd discussed.

--Adam

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com