Subject: (whorl) Coincidences

From: Dan Rabin <wolfe-lists at danrabin.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:11:54 +0000

I agree with David Lebling that the coincidence of Jahlee being 
Krait's mother is a bit of a stretch.

I also find it a bit unsatisfying that Wolfe tends to revisit 
established locales. Was there any reason why the ship in _Return_ 
had to be the _Samru_?  I didn't notice any particular continuity in 
the character of the captain, nor any motivation for his later kind 
treatment of Severian.

In _Urth of the New Sun_, the boat that picks up Severian happens to be Eata's.

I also have a nit concerning Blood's mansion.  Wasn't it off the Old 
Palustria Road in _Long Sun_?  In _Return_, it's on the road from 
Viron that ends in Endroad.  Perhaps the road doesn't go all the way 
to Palustria any more?

   -- Dan Rabin

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com