Subject: (whorl) The Plan of Pas?

From: Dave Lebling <dlebling at shore.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:01:02 +0000

In TBotLS, we learn that the plan of Pas is to drive the inhabitants of the
Whorl out, so that they may populate Blue and Green. All sorts of methods
will be used. In OBW, as I recall, we get some hints of darkness,
whirlwinds, etc. being used to scare people onto the landers. In RttW we are
told the godlings and the mercenaries Pig was one of are also being used to
scare people out.

Then, we meet M'To, a member of the "black gang" (little joke there, he's
obviously an African -- ha ha), who says the godlings are used to stand in
for the broken communication cable to Mainframe, and the sun is turned off
periodically to keep the Whorl from frying.

So, how hard was Pas really trying to drive people out, and which were his
methods, and which were just mechanical breakdowns?

By the way, I find the godlings (physical unlikelihood aside; maybe they
_are_ Taloses) to be perfectly in line with the idea of a jealous and
vengeful god chastising his worshippers. I think of "there were giants in
those days" and also, on a less exalted level, John Varley's insane goddess
Gaea in _Titan_, who kept coming up with such bio-engineered shocks to her
colonists.

    Dave Lebling
    aka vizcacha

ps: last post for tonight. enough of my blather.

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com