Subject: (whorl) RTTW spoilers, structure of TBOTSS

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at sirius.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:50:23 +0000

Adam wrote:
>No doubt Horn could impersonate Silk's manner of speaking.  But why would he
>want to do so consistently?  He doesn't know, or he denies, he's in Silk's
>body.  He is aware that everybody thinks he's Silk, and wants to convince
>them he's not.  It makes no sense that he would then go around acting like
>Silk.  In any case, it's not just his manner of speaking, it's his
>character.  The Horn of the journey to Pajarocu is not inclined to dispense
>wisdom at the drop of a hat, as the "Horn" on the Whorl is.
>
>As for the distinction between Silk and litSilk, it's true we don't know the
>"real Silk," only litSilk.  But we also know the litHorn of the trip to
>Pajarocu.  And the "Horn" of the Whorl resembles litSilk much more closely
>than litHorn.

If you had written "litHorn of TBOTLS is the literary creation of the
narrator Horn; litHorn, of TBOTSS, is a literary creation of the narrator
`N'" then I'd know we were on the same page.  As it is, I sense continuing
Time Frame problems.

Here, let me make a simplified diagram:

1) Horn goes out on Blue.
2) Horn goes out on Green.
3) Horn/Silk goes out on the Whorl.
4) The rajan of Gaon begins his book about steps 1, 2, and 3.
5) OBW: the narrator on Blue and on step 1-Blue (same place, different
person).
6) IGJ: the narrator on Blue, step 2-Green, on Green (ditto), and on Urth.
7) RTTW: the narrator on Blue, step 3-Whorl, and on Urth.

If it helps to visualize that Escher drawing of the two hands drawing each
other, then by all means do so!

Remember: just as our sense of Silk in TBOTLS is created by the writing of
Horn, so our sense of all the Horns in TBOTSS is created by the writing of
"N."

It is rather like the VRT/John Marsch problem.

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
Catalog and errata sheet at http://www.sirius.com/~mantis/

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:54:51 +0000

> `N'" then I'd know we were on the same page.  As it is, I sense continuing

True; but this is irrelevant to the point I was trying to make, which is
that the representation of the "Horn" of the Whorl resembles any
representation of Silk, or of the Silkified "Horn" of Gaon and after, more
closely than it resembles any representation of Horn before he was put into
Silk's body.  Actually, my memory of TBOTLS isn't that great, so I'm really
going by the representations of Horn and the Silkified "Horn" in TBOTSS.
 
> Horn, so our sense of all the Horns in TBOTSS is created by the writing of

It's not quite the same, because there are three different narrators who
portray "Horn" in TBOTSS: the Rajan, the group narration by the editors, and
Hoof (I'm not counting Daisy, since Horn is gone by then).  But I'm not
aware of any differences between their portrayals of the "Horn" who's in
Silk's body.  This actually could support your basic theory, if not your
details: you could argue that since the editors only saw Horn-in-Silk after
he'd been reinfused with Silk, they projected that personality onto the
Horn-in-Silk of the Whorl.  But I would still disagree, mainly because there
are other reasons (which I've stated) for believing that Silk was present in
the "Horn" of the Whorl.

--Adam