Subject: (whorl) Sorry, couldn't resist one more

From: Endymion9 <endymion9 at mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 15:13:02 +0000

Typhon's entry in the Encyclopedia Mythica was too interesting not to post
here also.

"Typhon is the offspring of Gaia and Tartarus. His mate is Echidna and both
were so fearful that when the gods saw them they changed into animals and
fled in terror. Typhon's hundred, horrible heads touched the stars, venom
dripped from his evil eyes, and lava and red-hot stones poured from his
gaping mouths. Hissing like a hundred snakes and roaring like a hundred
lions, he tore up whole mountains and threw them at the gods.
Zeus soon regained his courage and turned, and when the other gods saw him
taking his stand, they came back to help him fight the monster. A terrible
battle raged, and hardly a living creature was left on Earth. But Zeus was
fated to win, and as Typhon tore up huge Mount Aetna to hurl at the gods,
Zeus struck it with a hundred well-aimed thunderbolts and the mountain fell
back, pinning Typhon underneath. There the monster lies to this very day,
belching fire, lava and smoke through the top of the mountain.

Echidna, his hideous mate, escaped destruction. She cowered in a cave,
protecting Typhon's offspring, and Zeus let them live as a challenge to
future heroes. Echidna and Typhon's children are the Nemean Lion, Cerberus,
Ladon, the Chimera, the Sphinx, and the Hydra."

Dennis/Endy
http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com