Subject: (whorl) Scylla entries in Encyclopedia Mythica

From: Endymion9 <endymion9 at mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:54:14 +0000

I was searching for any entries on Cilinia and came up nil, but found these
two for Scylla that I found interesting.

Encyclopedia Mythica  http://www.pantheon.org/mythica/

"1.  In Greek legend, Scylla is the name of a daughter of King Nisus of
Megara. She promised her lover Minos to deliver Megara into his hands and,
to effect this, cut off a golden hair on her father's head when he was
asleep. Minos, however, despised her for this treachery, and Scylla threw
herself from a rock into the sea. Other accounts say that she was changed
into a lark by the gods and her father into a hawk.

2.  Scylla was a nymph, daughter of Phorcys. The fisherman-turned-sea-god
Glaucus fell madly in love with her, but she fled from him onto the land
where he could not follow. Disappear filled his heart. He went to the
sorceress Circe to ask for a love potion to melt Scylla's heart. As he told
his tale of love to Circe, she herself fell in love with him. She wooed him
with her sweetest words and looks, but the sea-god would have none of her.
Circe was furiously angry, but with Scylla and not with Glaucus. She
prepared a vial of very powerful poison and poured it in the pool where
Scylla bathed. As soon as the nymph entered the water she was transformed
into a frightful monster with twelve feet and six heads, each with three
rows of teeth. Below the waist her body was made up of hideous monsters,
like dogs, which backed unceasingly. She stood there in utter misery, unable
to move, loathing and destroying everything that came into her reach, a
peril to all sailors who passed near her. Whenever a ship passed, each of
her heads would seize one of the crew."

Dennis/Endy
http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com