Subject: (whorl) more RTTW questions

From: BraveSaintCroix <bravesaintcroix at aol.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 01:03:37 +0000

Finished RTTW today and after that spent the evening catching up on posts on 
this list.  Most of the quiestions I had were answered, or at least touched 
on, but I have a few that I thought didn't get enough attention.

1. Who was the man in a colorless robe on the top of the platue on Green with 
Jahlee?  It was when Horn went back to search for her in the tower and ended 
up climbing the cliff and getting attacked by inhumi.  And what happened up 
there?  When I first read "colorless robe" I thought of the fuligin cloak of 
the turturers.  

2.  What do you think of Horn being an inhumu?  I think the evidence Wolfe 
gives is too much to ignore.  The fact that he hardly ever eats bothered me 
all through the book, especially when Hoof said he often pretended to eat and 
that the inhumu in the boat with them ate some potato soup.  Also, Horn says 
something about a possible way he got to Green without an inhumu present that 
he didn't want to think about.  There is definitely something there we're not 
seeing.

That's all for now.  More to say, but I've been online too long.

-Steve

PS:  Say what you may, my vote is that RTTW was AWESOME. 

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: George Terry <gmterry at ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:48:50 +0000

>he didn't want to think about.  There is definitely something there we're not

I think Horn is an "anti-inhumu" or better, an "humu". Horn embodies the 
best virtues of humanity (Silk--also his son's "Father was good..."). Horn 
therefore stands in contradistinction to what the inhumi have become by 
taking on those aspects of selfish humanity rather than the unselfish. Thus 
the secret of defeating the inhumi--become "humi" and they will be brought 
along.

George

***************************************************************************
"We are already one; we just don't know it yet." --Thomas Merton