Subject: (whorl) RTW: Silk's Silkiness and other things

From: Endymion9 <endymion9 at mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:09:34 +0000

I agree with Adam.  I believe the 3 BotSS are a beautiful progression of
1. a man in denial finally facing the truth of his death
2. a man who has lost his reason for living finally admitting he is still
alive

on 2/17/01 1:11 PM, James Jordan at jbjordan at gnt.net wrote:
>> Now, the narrator does say that he killed Hide and Hoof's father. But
this
>> could mean several different things, such as that his actions on Green
>> resulted in the death of his body.

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:20:19 Adam Stephanides wrote:
>I can't imagine Horn's saying those words, in the context in which they
>appear, with that meaning.  "I'm not going to say goodbye to my sons, who I
>will never see again, because my actions caused the death of my physical
>body on Green"???

Horn knew his body had died on Green.  He seemed to have no confusion about
this, but still did not mention that he had killed Hoof and Hide's father.
Horn even knowing he was in not in his body, still believed himself very
much alive through most of the three books.  It was only when Silk admitted
he was alive and Horn either released himself or Silk released him that he
mentions killing the boys' father.

alga,
Thanks for the info on which description of Scylla, Wolfe based his
character on.  The only thing that drew me to the first description was the
line
"Other accounts say that she was changed into a lark by the gods and her
father into a hawk."
relating to Scylla residing in Oreb.

Dennis/Endy
http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com