Subject: (whorl) Fw: Whorl post re:Heresy and Wolfe's Audience CORRECTION

From: Endymion9 <endymion9 at mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:52:25 +0000

At 11:34 AM -0500 2/19/01, BMeyer7 at aol.com wrote:

 >Has Wolfe crossed the line from not giving all the answers
 >to creating texts that must be pored over by talmudic scholars rather
 >than actual readers of novels? Is Wolfe writing for a smaller, and
> smaller audience of expert Wolfe-interpreters? Discuss.

 I would argue that Wolfe has not changed his writing style or his audience
at all.  There are people in this group that might claim to understand all
or most the nuiances in
TBotNS
TBotLS
TBotSS
Castleview
Soldier in the Mist
Soldier in Arete
And many Wolfe short stories.

They might even have access to the author who might tell them what he
meant.  I am of the opinion (and I can't remember which famous artist from
the past has previously stated this [Dylan Thomas? Bob Dylan? others?],
that even an author's opinons about his/her work are not absolute.  What
the writing means to the author, may be something else entirely than what
it means to his readers.  And obviously from reading this group, what it
means to one group of readers, it might not mean to another group.

 Who is right?  Both in my opinion.  If a book passage means something
different to 1,000 readers than it does to 1 (the author) who's opinion
has more authority?  If it means something different to one group of 10
readers vs. another group of 10 readers, who is right?  I guess to sum
this thought up, I believe ideas can be bigger than their author.

 Secondly, I have been of the opinion and have expressed to others since I
first began reading Wolfe, only read this author to enjoy the journey.  If
a book is all about the destination for you, you probably won't enjoy
Wolfe and will become frustrated reading him.  Other authors I put in the
same category though not as difficult as Wolfe, and that I enjoy greatly the
journey/scenery are

Jonathan Carroll
Michael Swanwick
William Browning Spencer

 I don't read their books or Wolfe's to find out what happened.  I read
them to enjoy the company of the book and it's characters for as long as
it lasts.  Whenever I reread TBotNS I think of it as spending more time
with my good friend Severian.  I was dissapointed when I started reading
TBotSS and didn't find my friend Silk there.  But I quickly began to enjoy
the company of my new friend Horn.

So the question I would have to people analyzing TBotSS is, did you enjoy
 the journey, the sights Wolfe showed you?  I did.

 Another analogy I think of is from pastor's I have heard.  In a sermon they
have instructed the church members to listen with discerning ears and to
take the meat and pick out the bones.  Meaning some of this word may be for
you, or the same word may mean something different to you than to you
neighbor.
Some of it may mean nothing to you.  Don't choke on the bones but pick out
the meaning it has to you and savor that.

Just my two cents. :)

Dennis/Endy
http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com