Subject: (whorl) Pig Ears, Redux

From: David Lebling <dlebling at ucentric.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:01:49 +0000

<<If I read you correctly, Patrick, you seem to be denying the possibility
of
even small godlings in general, whereas Wolfe at least mentions them
twice.>>

From: William Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
<<And you have left out what, for me, is the clincher. The ears!
Godlings have "bestial, pointed ears" (RttW, p. 53). When Horn
refuses to allow Pig to return to Blue with him, Pig first assumes
that it is because Horn had seen his ears ("Seen me h'ears" is what
Pig says on p. 372.) What in the whorl can this mean except that Pig
*is* a small godling.>>

I first brought this argument up in this post:

<<From: "Dave Lebling" <dlebling at shore.net>
Subject: (whorl) Pig Ears (spoiler)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:12:25 <========

More evidence of Pig-as-godling:

The godling Horn/Silk meets in the beginning is described as having
"bestial, pointed ears." (p. 53).

Pig shaves and gets his hair cut after (before?) his operation. When Pig
asks if he can go to Blue with Silk, Silk refuses. Pig's response? (p. 372)

 "Seen me h'ears."
 "That has nothing to do with it..."

Perhaps what Pig means is that his ears, like the godling's, are
distinctively pointed.>>

Just thought I'd mention it since I so rarely am the first to pick up on
something!  Not to mention, I rarely agree with Mr. Borski's speculations...

    Dave Lebling
    aka vizcacha

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com