Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v012.n062

From: Bob Musser <rmusser at mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:15:42 +0000

On 24 Feb 2001, at 10:50, Robert Borski wrote:

> No one seems to have liked my Kypris-Seawrack theory...

Actually, I liked that theory just fine.  We get so little information 
on the return of Seawrack, though, that it's tough to hang a theory 
on it.  More questions raised than answered.  As I was (re)reading 
through the Afterword, I was struck by Daisy's description of 
Seawrack:

"Lovely though Seawrack was, with her snowy skin, blue eyes and 
fair hair, there was something animal about her.  It seemed clear to 
me that she trusted only "Father," and would have put her long 
knife into any other person as readily as I would gut a fish."

If Seawrack is possessed by a god at this point, doesn't it sound 
more like Surging Scylla than Comely Kypris?  Thin evidence 
indeed, I admit, but interesting, given the Urth Scylla-Whorl Scylla-
Mother connection (whatever THAT actually is...).

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com