Subject: (whorl) RTTW spoilers Kypris with a whip

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at sirius.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:32:37 +0000

Bob Musser wrote:
>Actually, I liked that theory just fine.  We get so little information
>on the return of Seawrack, though, that it's tough to hang a theory
>on it.  More questions raised than answered.  As I was (re)reading
>through the Afterword, I was struck by Daisy's description of
>Seawrack:
>
>"Lovely though Seawrack was, with her snowy skin, blue eyes and
>fair hair, there was something animal about her.  It seemed clear to
>me that she trusted only "Father," and would have put her long
>knife into any other person as readily as I would gut a fish."
>
>If Seawrack is possessed by a god at this point, doesn't it sound
>more like Surging Scylla than Comely Kypris?  Thin evidence
>indeed, I admit, but interesting, given the Urth Scylla-Whorl Scylla-
>Mother connection (whatever THAT actually is...).

Well, =maybe= . . . I mean, I recall too well my own similar reaction to a
possession in the Long Sun series, thinking that it must have been a
goddess of war (Scylla or Spingx) rather than a goddess of love, since She
had a Big Whip and was cracking it in fury . . . turns out, when we asked
Wolfe about it, that it really was Love.  He doesn't want Love presented as
some sort of milquetoast, lisping, etc. sort of thing.  She can really kick
bootie, no kidding.

All details in the archives.

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
Catalog and errata sheet at http://www.sirius.com/~mantis/

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com