Subject: (whorl) Style

From: James Jordan <jbjordan4 at home.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:31:55 +0000

At 01:14 PM 2/26/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>I think I'm beginning to agree with those who think Mr Wolfe's
>riddle-me-this writing tactics are getting a bit out of hand.
>I don't want everything spelt out for me, and I appreciate his
>belief that you shouldn't have to be told something twice --
>but most of us grew up on pulp writers and the like, okay?
>Maybe there's a happy medium?
>
>--Dan'l

It's not just "pulp." It's pretty much all of traditional literature.

Someone brought up the fact that so many climactic events are off stage, 
and we only get hints of them. I can understand this as "Horn's" rambling 
style of memoir writing, devoid of a Nettle to edit him. But it seems that 
the children also write this way in their part of RTTW, and that's odd.

Also, the children's part of RTTW reflects the many times that Father 
talked about his experiences on the Whorl. Well, how long did Silkhorn hang 
around New Viron? I got the impression that he left right away, but maybe 
he stayed around for a year or so, and that's why the good-byes are not 
really needed. I guess it would have taken some time for the entourage to 
be collected....

Thoughts, anyone?

Patera Nutricious

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com