Subject: (whorl) Re: godling as assassin of Silk

From: Robert Borski <rborski at charter.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:40:54 +0000

vizcacha having written:

<In fact, spinning this into more of an idea, what if Horn/Silk's wounds
were
made by a godling? I brought this idea up before but didn't have any idea
for a motive. It occurs to me that if a godling commanded Silk to preach the
end of the exodus, he might well have refused, even to the point of
violence. A thin reed to build a theory on, I know...>

This was pretty much the argument I made in my first Piggie post, only I had
Pig being the godling involved, and postulated slightly different motives
than you for the dastardly deed.

But as far as your core thesis goes--that a godling may have killed
Silk--I'm right with you.

I've also speculated with David DiGiacomo in private correspondence that the
person who attempted to assassinate Caldé Mint might have been a godling.
Mint, as she tells us, put a halt to the leaving of all landers shortly
after the first darkday--thus putting her at odds with the godlings'
instructions at the time.

Now for the tie-in question. Up until what point did the godlings preach
their thou-must-leave-the-whorl dictate? Is it just a coincidence that the
first time we hear the new message about staying is shortly after Horn has
come to the Whorl via the Silk transfusion? Why now, and not earlier/later?

Robert Borski

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Endymion9 <endymion9 at mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:40:54 +0000

Robert Borski wrote:
>Up until what point did the godlings preach their thou-must-leave-the-whorl
>dictate? Is it just a coincidence that the first time we hear the new
>message about staying is shortly after Horn has come to the Whorl via the
>Silk transfusion? Why now, and not earlier/later?

My opinion I suggested in an earlier post.  I think the godlings message did
not change until after Horn had interfaced with the godling.  I think Horn
gave a report of the (sorry) state of Blue/Green.  I think at this time Silk
took control of the Passilk mainframe entity and wrote off Blue/Green and
began the mission of preparing to leave the whorl and look for a better
location.

Dennis/Endy
http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm