Subject: (whorl) RTTW spoilers--Green light/Red light

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at sirius.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:21:12 +0000

Robert Borski wrote:
>Now for the tie-in question. Up until what point did the godlings preach
>their thou-must-leave-the-whorl dictate? Is it just a coincidence that the
>first time we hear the new message about staying is shortly after Horn has
>come to the Whorl via the Silk transfusion? Why now, and not earlier/later?

One possibility that I had in mind is that the colonies on Blue (and
Green?) are now "grown up enough" that they do not need any further
assistance from the starship, beyond the seeds.  They do not get a lot of
feedback from the colonies on the ship, or so it seems to me, and it may be
that Horn's arrival back on the ship is a trigger (alone or one of many
different ones: for example, the arrival of the delegation from Gaon at
about the same time) that the colonies are ready to stand on their own.

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
Catalog and errata sheet at http://www.sirius.com/~mantis/

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com