Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v012.n075

From: BMeyer7 <bmeyer7 at aol.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 18:34:59 +0000

In a message dated 3/10/01 11:49:09 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
whorl-errors at lists1.ba.best.com writes:

> Wolfe has a habit of introducing a mystery, having Silk/Horn state that he
> knows the answer, and then not saying what it is. Does anyone here know the
> answers to:
> 
> 1) IGJ. Silk/Horn asks Mora(?) if she knows why her father's brother was
> called Incanto, then declares that he knows why, but he never tells us the
> answer. Why was Inclito's brother called Incanto?
> 
> 2) RttW. Silk/Horn gives several explanations for how he can perform astral
> travel without an inhumu present. He lists several explicit ones (hidden
> inhumi, etc.) then a final one which worries him, but doesn't say what it
> is.  What is it?
> 
> Feel free to add more to this list...
> 
>     

I asked once before, but received no responses. What happened on p. 266-67 
with Merryn and the dog?  Jahlee says "Merryn had trouble with animals, too." 
Then on the next page SilkHorn hears Severian say he wanted to show them his 
dog.  Jahlee goes out. Silk/Horn says "I followed her in time to see the 
witch's gaping mouth and the utter blankness of her large dark eyes."  Huh?  
He then says "I must remember to ask Jahlee the secret." Is that The Secret, 
or some other secret?

---

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 00:27:39 +0000

BMeyer wrote (but omitting the "about"):

> He then says "I must remember to ask Jahlee about the secret." Is that The
Secret,
                                             ^^^^^
> or some other secret?

Yes, that's The Secret, as the following sentence shows.  He wants Nettle to
know the Secret (so she will understand his relationship with Krait?), but
can't tell her himself, and hopes that Jahlee will do the job for him.

Probably this is what he had intended to ask her about on the bottom of p.
265.

--Adam