Subject: (whorl) Hierodule = alien, not Hierogrammate

From: Dan Parmenter <dan at lec.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:29:00 +0000

Bob Borski Bawled:

> I'm surprised this argument wasn't resurrected by its proponents earlier,
> citing the "Merryn had problems with animals too" line, which seems to
> support the notion--especially if you buy into my theory that Merryn is the
> biological daughter of the Cumaean.

> Unfortunately, the Cumaean-as-inhumu argument seems severely undercut by the
> following passage from URTH (p. 357), where Severian is talking to the alien
> Ossipago:
> 
> ***********
> "...the Cumaean, she was a Hierodule, like you. Father Inire told me."
> 
> Famulimus and Barbatus nodded.
> 
> ***********
> 
> Unless, of course, you're now arguing that the inhumi are creatures of
> Yesod...

Hold on.  I don't think that hierodule necessarily = hierogrammate.
My impression was that "Hierodule" covered all aliens.  Dr. Talos
suggests "extrasolarians" which might not include Martians but
definitely covers Inhumi.

Shellac

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Robert Borski <rborski at charter.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 00:58:24 +0000

Shellac having expostulated:

<Hold on.  I don't think that hierodule necessarily = hierogrammate.
My impression was that "Hierodule" covered all aliens.  Dr. Talos
suggests "extrasolarians" which might not include Martians but
definitely covers Inhumi.>

I doubt you'll find much support for the notion that Hierodule is a generic
term for all aliens--unlike, say, cacogen, or as you mention, extrasolarian.

>From LEXICON URTHUS: "Hierodule   one belonging to a race created by the
Hierogrammates of the higher universe, Yesod." (p. 168)

>From URTH OF THE NEW SUN, with Barbatus talking to Severian:

*********
"You call us Hierodules, and that is your word and not ours, just as
Barbatus, Famulimus and Ossipago are your words, words we have chosen
because they are not common and describe us better than your other words
would. Do you know what Hierodule means, this word of your own tongue?"

"I know that you are creatures of this universe [i.e., Yesod], shaped by
those of the next to serve them here. And that the service they desire of
you is the shaping of our race, of humanity, because we are the cognates of
those who shaped them in the ages of the previous creation."

Famulimus trilled, "Hierodule is 'holy slave.'" (p. 36)

*********

So clearly Wolfe is using "Hierodule" specifically to designate the aliens
who hail from Yesod, not Briah or the front pages of the National Enquirer.

Robert Borski