Subject: (whorl) Moly: animal, mineral or vegetable?

From: Kieran Cleary <kcleary at nwlabs.ie>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:22:53 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Mantis,

You wrote:

>Easy now.  You've confused Moly and Maggie! (See lists, IV.)  The
>handy mneumonic is to remember that "Moly" is the magic herb
>(sweetheart of Hammerstone), Maggie is the metal.

I'm new to the mailing list, so ignore this is someone has already 
pointed it out. Moly may be a magic herb, but it's the diminutive of 
Molybdenum which is also a (transition) metal, no. 42 in periodic 
table, and thus a suitable chem name.

____________________________________________________________
Kieran Cleary
Senior Research Engineer
North West Labs
Finisklin Industrial Estate
Sligo
Republic of Ireland

Tel. +353 71 69441
Fax. +353 71 69451
email kcleary at tinet.ie
___________________________________________________________

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com