Subject: (whorl) Re: Windcloud

From: Robert Borski <rborski at charter.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:34:47 +0000

Crateowl having come out of the dark woods long enough to post:

<I don't know what to make of the fact that the Neighbour said his name was
also Horn. The only (I think) other Neighbour name we read is Windcloud (pg
231 RTTW), which I associate with Pas' image. Windcloud fits with the
elemental nature of the Neighbours>

Unless, of course, the testifying alien is none other than Pas himself,
since "Windcloud" is essentially what Typhon/typhoon means--("A whirlwind,
cyclone, tornado; a violent storm of wind, a hurricane," OED)--plus we
already have the depiction of Pas as a whirlwind from as long ago as the
LONG SUN series. What, if not a cloud-of-wind, is a whirlwind, cyclone,
tornado, etc.

Interesting to think that this might be the only on-stage appearance of a
major player from both the latter SUN series.

But then this would also mean that Pas was a Neighbor and we all know how
ludicrous a notion that is, right?

Robert Borski

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com