Subject: (whorl) Too-Lupine Narrators

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:24:36 +0000

Folks have complained that Horn's children wouldn't write that way, that
it is implausible that they would write a narrative that deliberately
hides the protagonist's identity until the "gotcha" moment at the very end
where they write, "Silk nodded."

I think this is a misunderstanding.  I think Horn's kids faced the same
problem that drives us to write about "Hornsilk" or "Silkhorn," that they
believed that this man was somehow both Silk and Horn and that rather than
use some awkward amalgam name like Passilk, they just didn't call him
anything until the point in the story where he had changed and it then
seemed appropriate just to call him Silk.

In other words, they didn't wait to call him Silk in order to keep the
reader in suspense, they waited to call him Silk until he actually was
Silk.

Wolfe, of course, is doing both.

-Rostrum

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com