Subject: (whorl) "It is now safe to power off your gods"

From: David_Lebling <david_lebling at avid.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:04:48 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

alga,

I think you're wrong about the gods being turned off.  First, the
Trivigauntis do talk to Sphigx, or at least they think they do.  The
relevant quote is when Siyuf or Saba is turning up her nose at the idea
of figuring out the will of the gods from the entrails of animals.  She
says (paraphrased), "We just ask Sphigx and she tells us." Now, maybe
she means the priestesses of Sphigx tell them, but...

In addition, we have evidence that other cities (Wick? Palustria?) have
had theophanies since the death of Pas, at least from Quetzal.  He
mentions the other gods bragging about it in other cities.

(I wish I had a spare set of the books here at work -- I usually write
these things while I've got a long compilation running, but I've only
got a paperback of _Calde_ here.  Then I'd give you page numbers, oodles
'o page numbers.  Maybe I'll find time tonight...)

     -vizcacha
     (watch that extra 'a'!)
     (david_lebling at avid.com)

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com