Subject: (whorl) Pas on Blue

From: Endymion9 <endymion9 at mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 07:28:36 +0000

I've seen much discussion of the passage in which Horn says that because he
[Horn] is on the whorl, then Pas is also there.  I don't think it is that
cryptic a passage.  I think Horn routinely makes statements that confirm he
knows
1.  That Horn is dead and his body is rotting on green
2.  That he is in Silk's body

He can talk about all the peripheral issues unemotionally and accept them,
such as realizing that Silk and pieces of Pas have merged and are present in
him.  The only thing he cannot look dead on and accept is that Hyacynth is
dead and Silk will have to live without her now.

So talking theoretically about Pas being present blah blah blah doesn't
upset him, but accepting that he is Silk and Hyacynth is no more crushes
him.

Just my two cents on the matter (smile).

And if I may be so bold on another subject.  Alga I miss your voice/insights
here, even though I know you didn't like Wolfe's treatment of Jahlee and
women in general in this story.

Dennis/Endy
http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 21:01:47 +0000

> dead and Silk will have to live without her now.

Do you have any references for 2?  Yes, Horn clearly knows that he died on
Green, that he is in a different body, and that everybody thinks he's Silk.
But I don't remember any passages indicating that he has drawn the obvious
inference that he is in Silk's body (prior to the talk with Remora).  Nor,
apart from the Pas-on-Blue statement, do I recall him saying anything that
shows he knows that Silk's spirit has merged with his own.

--Adam