Subject: (whorl) Voices of the Gods; Marble/Rose

From: David_Lebling <david_lebling at avid.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 20:45:26 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

I'll try to mend my ways with some page numbers and actual quotes for a
change:

On the gods being active before Mamelta's repairs (_Calde_, p.156):

[Quetzal explaining to Silk:] "I'm in contact with religious leaders in
Urbs, Wick, and other cities, cities where his children have boasted of
killing Pas." ... "Echidna was at the center. ... Scylla, Molpe, and
Hierax were in it. They've said so at various times."

On Sphigx speaking to the Trivigauntis (_Exodus_, p. 182):

[Siyuf at the dinner party:] "A god speaks to us, also. Sublime Sphigx
cares more for us than any other city. She alone of the gods speaks to
us in our ancient tongue, speaking as we did in my mother's house, and
as we speak in mine."

Jerboa offering children (_Exodus_, p 230)? This one doesn't support my
position, in light of rereading the earlier passage about the monkey.
The monkey Jerboa sacrificed was at his first sacrifice, and he was
leery of such already.  So I'm no longer quite so sure he ever actually
sacrificed a child.  It's Maytera Wood who says "They remind him of
children."  I think that's what got me going, and I may have read too
much into it.

And here's one just for fun and confusion!

On Marble/Rose mixture (_Exodus_, p. 215):

[Marble, getting effusive towards Mint:] "If I'd had to live by myself
in the cenoby with just Maytera Rose and that chem I couldn't have stood
it. We'd have gone mad!"

One of the more perfect lines in the book!

     -vizcacha
     (david_lebling at avid.com)

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com