Subject: (whorl) Archive, Mint, Q

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:43:43 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Kieran,
Have you read the Archive? If you have one of the newer browsers you can
get right to it by pressing the 'moonmilk.volcano.org'  URL at the bottom
of this message series. It might be helpful for you to skim some of the
topics the group has already worried through. It's expanded to three units
now, but perhaps you need read only the latest one. Though your scenario
isn't bad!

vizcacha,
Even I, who don't play computer games, have played one of your games right
through to the end! I will always love Return to Zork for its sheer
goofiness, and I even bought Zork Nemesis, hoping for more of the same.
Alas, it turned out to be all woo-woo Mysticism (plus a RAM hog), and I
couldn't get interested at all. Starcross sounds good. I'm impressed!

(mantis,
Does Piaton mean "foot-soldier?" Like Latro? No, I guess that would be an
"ie"---what does it mean in Greek?)
 
> If I read you correctly, you think my quote from Marble supports
> mantis's triune M/M/R.  I think it's just the opposite, but shows how
> thoroughly mixed Marble and Rose are, like a left brain/right brain
> thing.  Marble is saying, "without you I would have been left alone with
> Rose," and Rose is saying, "without you I would have been left alone
> with that chem."  It gets mixed together so she says both, and adds
> "_We'd_ have gone mad!"  You have to work to tease out what's a Marble
> thought from what's a Rose thought.

You're absolutely right in both cases...thanks again. I really didn't want
Mint in there and conceded only with regret.

Xury,
Though there've been no theophanies for 30 years, Q has been Prolocutor for
33 and must certainly have been around for quite a while before that. There
is, in fact, a case to be made that he has been on the voyage since the
beginning. In any event, he has had plenty of time and opportunity and
access to the Chrasmalogic Writings etc. to be well acquainted with the
ways of the gods.

-alga-

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com