Subject: (whorl) Teleporting inhumi

From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 18:44:06 +0000

Patera Nutria: no, I don't think the inhumi are
teleporting from Green to Blue and then back again. If
that were the case, Blue would be infested with them
to a far greater degree than it is. I stick by my
hypothesis, which is simply that the inhumi have been
given a passive astral travel capacity, activatable
only if a biological or honorary Neighbour is also
present. This makes perfect sense textually; and
teleportation adds nothing to my explanation of the
Secret, the first explanation which is both fully
accountable to the text and a sensible adumbration of
the Secret as an offensive weapon.

--Nick Gevers.

____________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.co.uk address at http://mail.yahoo.co.uk
or your free @yahoo.ie address at http://mail.yahoo.ie

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:10:07 +0000

> teleporting from Green to Blue and then back again. 

Although it _does_ offer us with yet another possible
image for what the inhumi look like in their "natural"
state -- lime green humanoids with antennae...

  who's willing to bet that none of you has a clue 
  what this was about...

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at ungames.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:01:01 +0000

>state -- lime green humanoids with antennae...

Sounds like the Great Gazoo to me. 

-- 
Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney at ungames.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://www.nyrsf.com

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:21:55 +0000

> Sounds like the Great Gazoo to me. 

Swish! One up, one away...

---

From: James Jordan <jbjordan4 at home.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:26:38 +0000

>Secret, the first explanation which is both fully
                    ^^^^                                         ^^^^
>accountable to the text and a sensible adumbration of
                                                   ^^^^^^
>the Secret as an offensive weapon.

         Nothing humble about you, Nick!  ;-)

         Yeah, I don't suppose my thought adds to the Secret, but I'm not 
sure (yet) that I'm wrong. If inhumi can only teleport (on my supposition) 
in the presence of others who've been to Blue and returned, perhaps not 
that many would have made the trip. And after all, there are lots of humans 
on Green.
         I agree with the other objection that there does not seem to be 
any indication in the text for my hypothesis. Problem is, since flying 
through space is out of the question, where is there any indication of 
anything else at all?
         But back to your thesis. You're saying only Narrator can do astral 
travel, not just any human, because of his Neighborliness. Well, is it the 
ring? I'm not going to search 1000+ pages to find the allusions to the 
ring, but as I recall Horn left the first ring on Green with his corpse. 
But then he gets another. Is it the ring? And if so, maybe it's not inhumi 
+ Neighbor that enables the travel, but inhumi + ring.
         And how about magic rings in traditional literature?
         I like your thesis, since it integrates the astral travel business 
with the nature of the inhumi.

Nutria

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at ungames.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:44:44 +0000

At 04:26 PM 4/20/01 -0500, Nutria wrote:
>travel, not just any human, because of his Neighborliness. 

I wondered about that. Do Horn's sons ever initiate travel on their own? 

If not, then I've already given a reason why the Narrator would have a
Neighborly ability that no other human has--his life was completely
remolded by the Neighbors' magic/science in a way that no other human's was.

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:33:58 +0000

Say... doesn't the astral travelling only begin after Oreb
brings the Narr back the ring?

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin J. Maroney [mailto:kmaroney at ungames.com]
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 2:45 PM
To: whorl at lists1.ba.best.com
Subject: Re: (whorl) Teleporting inhumi

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
ranjit at moonmilk.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list:
urth at lists.best.com