Subject: (whorl) Re: teleporting inhumu

From: Robert Borski <rborski at charter.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:56:49 +0000

The water rat, Dan'l D'Tree and Kevin M. all contributing to the following
thread:

> But back to your thesis. You're saying only Narrator can do astral travel,
not just any human, because of his Neighborliness.>

<I wondered about that. Do Horn's sons ever initiate travel on their own? If
not, then I've already given a reason why the Narrator would have a
Neighborly ability that no other human has--his life was completely remolded
by the Neighbors' magic/science in a way that no other human's was.>

<Say... doesn't the astral travelling only begin after Oreb brings the Narr
back the ring?>

My own explanation for Horn's Neighborliness, of course, is that he's part
Passilk, and Pas is selon moi a Neighbor--not that Horn's life has been
reconstructed/reconstituted by the technomagic of the Neighbors. The net
result is still the same.

Also: isn't the ring Oreb brings back a different ring? And as far as this
being the instigator of Horn's astral travels, he's given the original ring
early on by Seawrack, but despite access to an inhumu (Krait), never does
any astral traveling. If you wish to argue this is because he has not been
transformed by the Neighbors yet, why given him the ring in the first
place--since it's unlikely the Neighbors know Horn will eventually be
uploaded in Silk's body?

Robert Borski

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Fernando Q. Gouvea <fqgouvea at colby.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 09:16:17 +0000

**** On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:56:49 -0500, "Robert Borski" <rborski at charter.net> said:

RB> Also: isn't the ring Oreb brings back a different ring? And as far as
RB> this being the instigator of Horn's astral travels, he's given the
RB> original ring early on by Seawrack, but despite access to an inhumu
RB> (Krait), never does any astral traveling. If you wish to argue this is
RB> because he has not been transformed by the Neighbors yet, why given him
RB> the ring in the first place--since it's unlikely the Neighbors know
RB> Horn will eventually be uploaded in Silk's body?

I'm not convinced the ring has anything to do with it either, but as to
Horn not engaging in astral travel: isn't there a sequence, when Horn is in
the pit, in which he suddenly finds himself back on the island with Nettle?
I don't have the book here, but if I'm remembering right that looks like a
first astral travel incident, completely involuntary on Horn's
part. Presumably, Krait is nearby at that point.

Fernando

-- 

Fernando Q. Gouvea                      
Department of Mathematics          Editor, FOCUS and MAA Online
Colby College                      Mathematical Association of America
Waterville, ME 04901               http://www.maa.org
fqgouvea at colby.edu                      
==========================================================

No one gets too old to learn a new way of being stupid.

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:44:39 +0000

> result is still the same.

Never mind the wacky Typhon-is-a-neighbor theory, I don't think there's
any evidence that Pas or Passilk ever posessed Silk, Horn, or
Silk|Horn.  Silk|Horn is Passilk inasmuch as there's some Silk in both of
them, but there's no Typhon in Silk|Horn.

-Rostrum