Subject: (whorl) The Neighbors' other friends

From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 07:42:11 +0000

Another note on the Secret: does any human other than
Horn/Silk have the ability to travel astrally, surely
a rare gift from the Neighbors? In other words, is
there anyone else who can lead human expeditions to
attack the inhumi birthing pools on Green, once
Horn/Silk has departed? Well, the answer is yes, there
probably is such a person, probably several. Taal has
had direct dealings with the Neighbors. Windcloud
states that he has other human friends besides Horn.
They're around, and their numbers can easily be
augmented, now that (as of RTW) the Neighbors are
intervening directly in human affairs...

--Nick Gevers.

____________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.co.uk address at http://mail.yahoo.co.uk
or your free @yahoo.ie address at http://mail.yahoo.ie

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:48:38 +0000

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, [iso-8859-1] Nicholas Gevers wrote:

> a rare gift from the Neighbors? 

What about Mora's dreamwalking/possessions, which seem to be linked
somehow to Fava's spirit?

-Rostrum

---

From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 06:00:19 +0000

Mora isn't travelling astrally in the same manner as
Horn--she's doing, with or without Fava, what Mucor
does, possessing others. Perhaps Fava facilitates
this, but I suspect the talent is latent in Mora;
still, an interesting point.

--Nick Gevers.

--- Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu> wrote: >
On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Nicholas Gevers
> wrote:

---

From: Robert Borski <rborski at charter.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:04:06 +0000

Nick Gevers has written the following:

<Mora isn't travelling astrally in the same manner as Horn--she's doing,
with or without Fava, what Mucor does, possessing others. Perhaps Fava
facilitates this, but I suspect the talent is latent in Mora; still, an
interesting point.>

Hey, does this then perhaps answer the question about who it is that Mora
and Inclito remind Horn of --i.e., Mucor and Blood?

Pertinent quote from IGJ: "...after racking my brain for long days I've
finally realized who you and your father remind me of. I knew--I felt, at
least--that I had met you both before. I won't tell you because the names
would mean nothing to you."

The only problem with this is crimeboss Blood--who's hardly what I would
call "very good people." Yet maybe...

Robert Borski

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:32:52 +0000

> still, an interesting point.

It's not the same, but it has several characteristics in common with
Silk|Horn's astral travel that Mucor's posessions don't: only works when
Mora is asleep, ability to bring others along, linked in some way with an
inhuma.  And if Horn's posession of Silk is mediated by the same
phenomena that enables astral travel, then we have another similarity.

Does Silk|Horn ever do astral travel to another place on Blue?  People
have asked why he didn't use it to visit Nettle.  Is it possible that
there is a minimum distance necessary for it to work, that he could go to
Green or somewhere further away, but not anywhere closer?  Perhaps one
can't have an astral body on the same planet as one's physical body, which
would explain why Mora's dreamwalking manefests as posession.

-Rostrum