Subject: (whorl) Inhumi breeding

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:55:26 +0000

I've discovered (unless somebody's already mentioned this) an apparent
inconsistency in the descriptions of the inhumi breeding process.  In RttW
Horn tells Juganu "I know that your eggs must be hatched in sun-warmed
water" (384), and two pages later Juganu states that the eggs and sperm are
released while the inhumi are swimming in the water.  But in Fava's second
story (IGJ, 129-30), Fava clearly hatches not in the water, but on a
riverbank in the rotted remains of a hut.

Are there two species of inhumi, one laying its eggs in the water and one on
land?  (Possible, but this would really be a pointless complication.)  Is
Fava distorting the facts for some reason?  (Saying Juganu is lying won't
account for it, because Fava's story is also contradicted by Horn's remark,
made before he hears Juganu's story.)  Or did Wolfe slip up?

--Adam

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com