Subject: (whorl) Re: Adam's Secret Theory

From: David Lebling <dlebling at ucentric.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:02:33 +0000

But how does your theory square with "a weapon too heavy to wield"? Unless
the meaning is that becoming good is too hard for the Neighbors, and for
humans. This makes a certain amount of sense, and captures the idea of a
"heavy" weapon. If I have a sword that weighs fifty pounds, I can't swing it
at my enemy, even though I know it would destroy him if I could.

We've gone around and around on the "Golden Rule" theory (I think I was one
of the early proposers of it, if not the first), but it still isn't very
satisfying, even though it's the best we've got so far.

Foolish inhumi, to be worried that humans might become good!

    Dave Lebling
    aka vizcacha

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:31:46 +0000

on 4/24/01 9:02 AM, David Lebling at dlebling at ucentric.com wrote:

> <<From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Yet another Secret theory: we have met the enemy and he is us>>
> 
> humans.

Right.

--Adam

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:03:10 +0000

> at my enemy, even though I know it would destroy him if I could.

A sword is obviously a weapon, even if it's a sword so big no one could
actually use it.  But a fact about the inhumi would only be called a
weapon if someone were to say, "Ah! This information could be used to hurt
the inhumi!"  But if the information could obviously never be used to hurt
the inhumi, then why would Horn or anyone else call it a weapon in the
first place?

-Rostrum