Subject: (whorl) The Secret: protection, not conversion (actual evidence!)

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:49:44 +0000

I have to abandon my nice new theory on the Secret.  I just noticed that on
p. 350 of the hardback OBW, Horn says: "If only we protected one another,
they would all be idiots or worse.  As it is, they always get enough to keep
them going."  So it has to be boring old keep-everybody-safe, not the idea
that the inhumi will become good by drinking the blood of good people,
attractive though this is.  (Unless Horn has in mind two different ways of
reducing the inhumi to animals, and there's no evidence for this.)

This quote also puts the kibosh on the theory that when Horn talks about
reducing the inhumi, he only means the ones who don't become human: he
clearly says "all."

Disappointing as this is for me, it does support my view that Wolfe regards
the inhumi as they are now, with human spirits in animal bodies, as
monstrosities which should not exist.  (This is the difference Jahlee's
revelation makes to us, if not necessarily to Horn.)

--Adam

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com