Subject: (whorl) Buying a sabretache

From: Dan Rabin <wolfe-lists at danrabin.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 21:13:39 +0000

Christopher Culver asks:

>We've all seen how useful Severian's sabertache is. Does anyone know where
>one could buy a sabertache in this modern world? Surely there is at least a
>company that makes replicas of older British uniform items somewhere.

A quick Google search on "sabretache" turns up 
<http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~thinred/ceremonial.html>, an 
entire catalog of British uniform items.

The sabretache goes for 1.45 hectopounds.  It doesn't look like 
something _I'd_ want to wear around town, but that's just me.  The 
insignia part is bigger than the pouch part on this model.

If you don't want to go for replication, the item generally known in 
the U.S. as a fanny pack sounds like the nearest contemporary 
approximant.

I couldn't find a site specializing in the late Commonwealth period 
of Urth. If I could I'd go for the _Terminus Est_ loving reproduced 
even down to the signature of Jovinian on the tang of the blade.  If 
they won't sell me one, I'll have them killed in a duel and claim it 
as my victor's right.

   -- Dan "Agilus believed in flower power" Rabin

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com