Subject: (whorl) Cilinia's mausoleum

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:33:55 +0000

Jerry Friedman wrote:

>(Chap. 19, a mausoleum [apparently not Severian's
>hideout] in the necropolis

Ah, this has been established (or otherwise achieved consensual validity in
excess of 51%)?  I hadn't known, I must have missed that . . . it poses a
leap I cannot follow.

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
Has Moved To
http://www.siriusfiction.com/

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 19:52:23 +0000

>excess of 51%)?  I hadn't known, I must have missed that . . . it poses a

Nevermind.  I withdraw the statement/question.

OTOH, it does lead to an interesting notion: what if, instead of a FAQ
about a book/series/story, what if there was a position tabulation, sort of
like a voting ballet, showing broad points ("Participants like the piece"
xx%; "Respondents dislike the piece" xx%), then medium points, down to fine
detail points?

It would be a digested digest, I suppose.  A tallying person would read
through the thread, picking out the various points of concensus and
contention, then use these to create the ballot.  Rather like making an
index, in a way.  The ballot could then be voted on afresh, or the
percentages could just be filled in based on how the discussion seemed to
go in the original.

At the end of this there would be these handly little one-page summaries of
where everybody has been and which sides they were on.  Like a busload of
tourists posing for a snapshot.

That would be something!

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
Has Moved To

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at ungames.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:17:17 +0000

>xx%; "Respondents dislike the piece" xx%), then medium points, down to fine

Ahah! The Wolfe Seminar! We could all get pink, red, grey, and black balls
and vote on whether Severian is his own mother....

-- 
Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney at ungames.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://www.nyrsf.com

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 12:39:55 +0000

> and vote on whether Severian is his own mother....

But can we get the guy who directed _Showgirls_ to pay for it?

-Rostrum

---

From: matthew.malthouse <matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 14:25:46 +0000

>and vote on whether Severian is his own mother....

Oh, c'mon!  There ain't *still* poor readers who don't know that, are there...

Matthew
--
http://www.calmeilles.demon.co.uk/
http://www.calmeilles.demon.co.uk/pride/