Subject: (whorl) Short Sun. new user - spoiler-ish

From: Tony West <underseas75 at hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 03:41:59 +0000

Hello all... I used to subscribe to the BOTNS list years ago and after this 
short hiatus have subscribed to -this- list.... as a sort of introduction I 
thought I'd begin with a really sophomoric question that has been bothering 
me... I'm on my third re-read of BOTLS but have only read Short Snu once.

At the beginning of Return to the Whorl, Horn/Silk is cared for by a couple 
near Silk's old residence (manse?)... what are the common ideas about who 
they are?  The man's sudden (violent) reaction to Horn/Silk at the end of 
their encounter is quite odd and implies a lot more than is apparent 
(surprise there).  I'm sure I've overlooked something of critical 
importance, but I'll go out on a limb and ask for your ideas...

Thanks for your time,

Tony

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

*This is WHORL, for discussion of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun.
*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/
*To leave the list, send "unsubscribe" to whorl-request at lists.best.com
*If it's Wolfe but not Long Sun, please use the URTH list: urth at lists.best.com

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:44:01 +0000

> importance, but I'll go out on a limb and ask for your ideas...

They're pretty poor, and the old man didn't seem too happy that his wife
was sharing with Silk.  My impression was that he was afraid Silk would
try to sneak back and steal from them, that this was a sign of how much
society had broken down with the sun failing.

(I take it Silk won't have to go all the way to Yesod to get the Long Sun
working again?)

I guess it's also possible they knew Silk and Hyacinth when they were
living nearby and have some grudge against Silk.  Or that they recognize
him as Calde Silk and have some grudge against him because of his policies
or whatever.

-Rostrum