Subject: Re: (whorl) Wolfe Puns

From: Patri10629 <patri10629 at aol.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 14:34:49 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Mantis,

I too noticed a couple of these. 

"From the summit of the tor, he had a clear view of the strait"
(ha!).

As a TOR author this seemed a little obvious to me:)

"Other funny bits about Horn's defense: "I had planned to call my
account _The Book of Silk_, and not Starcrossers' Landfall or any of
the other titles (many equally foolish) that have been suggested"
(ha!); "

This particularly reminds me of that essay in Wolfe's collection Castle of
Days--when he reveals the writing/contractual/publishing history of the NEW
SUN books. The part where he and his agent make sure the contract guarantees
Wolfe final approval of all titles in the series. To avoid something like
"The Shadow of The Torturer. The Claw of the Conciliator.  Planet Breaker.
And the Citadel of The Autarch."

Actually, Michael, I wouldn't call these examples "thigh-slappers" on the
humor scale. 

Oreb, for me, supplies most of the best laughs.

Patrick O'Leary

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com