Subject: Re: (whorl)

From: James Jordan <jbjordan4 at home.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 21:55:15 +0000

At 03:38 PM 1/2/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, James Jordan wrote:
>
>[regarding "Olmo has fallen" = "Elm has fallen"]
>
> > >Ack!  What a great catch.  This proves the narrator is a ghost!
> >
> > Ah. Then the narrator is Horn, who is a ghost in Silk's body -- at least
> > until Silk is resurrected by Severian and takes over, submerging Horn to
> > "Thecla status." Right?
>
>Yes and no.  I was sorta joking.  Horn's ghost is in there, but I think
>there's evidence that Silk exerts an increasing influence on the
>narrator's perspective throughout all three books, which I'll lay out in a
>post coming soon (I've been re-reading the books during Christmas).
>
>-Rostrum

You sly dog! Well, I was very taken with the notion that Severian brings 
Silk back. I'll look forward to how you set out the whole matter. Until 
then, I continue to think that the narrator's consciousness is Horn, though 
since he is in the biological body of Silk, with Silk's physical brain, 
etc., he cannot escape acting more Silkishly than he did when he was Horn 
in Horn's body. That is, until the encounter with Sev.
         Looking forward to it.

Nutria, the Rat