Subject: Blue=Ushas?

From: Grant Peacock <grantpeacock at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 18:32:52 +0000

Hello everyone, 
   Long time lurker, first time poster.

--- Kieran Cleary <kcleary at jb.man.ac.uk> wrote:
> 
> Ahh, this takes me back. I'm afraid I too still nurse the
> sickly Blue/Green=Urth/Lune hypothesis. Poor thing, but there's life in it
> yet. 
I also have a soft spot for this hypothesis, since it was my first guess before
OBW even came out.  I figured Typhon was enlightened by the outsider (or whatever)
and instructed to build an ark to preserve every culture on the world until after
the flood, which is coming up now any chiliad.  This is at least a good
explanation for why he made the whorl so huge.  It also conveniently explains how
inhumi are in the whorl:  They came on board on Urth just like the other
passengers.  So when I next re-read New Sun, I was looking everywhere for inhumi,
but all I found was a few blood bats, although someone did post long ago saying
that dorcas might be some sort of vampire.

If Severian is the outsider, maybe he ordered the building of the whorl out of
guilt, and he knew that Typhon was the last person with the capability to do it.

So anyway I was convinced that the whorl is not an interstellar vessel, and I was
pretty annoyed in the end of SS when in actually flew away.

> 
> If this idea is to have legs again, can anyone address the lack of support
> in the text for lower gravity on Green, besides alarmingly tall trees?
I believe it also has alarmingly large beasts, and alarmingly tall towers, and
people on it have alarming capabilities when it comes to climbing towers and
cliffs.

Since my surname is Peacock, I'd say I'm spared the responsibility of coming up
with a clever name.

Peacock

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/