Subject: Ushas and Typhon

From: James Jordan <jbjordan4 at home.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 21:44:07 +0000

At 12:17 PM 1/8/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>On 08/01/2002 03:54:43 maa32 wrote:
>
> > The biggest problem is the doubling of limbs,
> >that Andy so cogently brings up.  That bugs me, too.
>
>Methinks a chat with Richard of Occam would be good for you.  :-)
>
>Matthew

I tend to think so also. Of course, Marc is digging up some interesting 
things along the way, but the overall hypothesis seems very tenuous when 
their are easier explanations. One thing that the Blue=Ushas hypothesis has 
to account for is why there are no humans on Blue/Ushas. If Neighbors are 
SuperTrees (shades of Tolkein!), or Dryads, then they aren't Green Men. If 
we've moved a million years into the future, then the chronology is 
problematic. In other words, the conventional Whorl-list explanation does 
account for the data, without introducing a whole new range of problems for 
which there seems no hint of a solution.
         And after all, worlds suitable for human habitation are going to 
look either blue or green. They aren't going to look orange or purple. 
Thus, whether or not Wolfe wanted to create a parallel, or suggest an 
identity, between Ushas/Blue and Lune/Green, he did not have a lot of 
choice about what colors to use.
         Peacock's notion that the Whorl is an Ark, built because Typhon 
knew the Flood was coming, is an interesting hypothesis. I don't think 
Typhon had been enlightened, however; he certainly does not seem to be 
anyone who would be receptive to the Outsider's oracle, whoever that might 
have been. Typhon might just as well have built his Ark to preserve himself 
and the world somewhere else, because he believed that the red sun was 
going out, and had no faith in any New Sun.
         But let the hypotheses continue!

Nutria