Subject: (whorl) Bloody Death

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 11:27:54 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

At 12:21 PM 3/12/97 -0600, Kieran Mullen wrote:
>
>    But why is Blood named Blood?  The word blood is very, very rich in
>Christian/Catholic teaching.  In the storyline he is named Blood because of
>his bloody (caesarian?) birth.  But there seems to be a sacrice/
>blood/ransom/salvation theme with the manteion.

	You may be onto something with that last sentence. Re-read Blood's death
at the end of the last chapter of Book 3. Silk says, "Why should men like
you be free to do whatever you wish whenever you wish, guaranteed that you
yourself will never be VICTIMIZED?"

	Then we read: "The notched blade slid forward, penetrating Blood's throat
AS READILY AS THE MANTEION'S OLD BONE-HANDLED SACRIFICIAL KNIFE HAD EVER
ENTERED THAT OF A RAM."

	Finally, "Silk nodded in response, and when that seemed inadequate TRACED
THE SIGN OF ADDITION IN THE AIR." Surely that action comes after a
sacrifice as a blessing upon the worshippers. 

	And that's as far as I can go.

>P.P.S.  _Pandora_ seemed like a book where a lot more was happening than
on the surface, but I was just too dim to see it.  I mean: "Aladdin Blue"=
"A lad in blue" = police.  Anyone get much out of it?

	I agree. There seem to be things right behind the scenes, but I have not
gotten back to that one for a second read.

	I'd like to know if the ladies in our discussion feel Wolfe did a good job
of getting into the head of a young girl.

JBJordan

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com