Subject: (whorl)

From: Paul C Duggan <pduggan at world.std.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 22:45:01 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

> From: Patri10629 at aol.com
> 
> 1. What purpose did the tour of the Talus factory serve? It happens late in
> Exodus and seems to lead nowhere--a battle plan that didn't pan out? I wonder
> what others make of this scene...

I'm sure it has some greater significance beyond what I'm going to propose
as well, but:

I think Wolfe put it in to give a chance for engineering (his trade) to
shine through. It just seems in keeping with some of his public remarks
about engineering and his interest in vindicating it as a profession.

maybe that's too pat...

"I am an impure thinker. I am hurt, swayed, shaken, |  paul           + | +
elated, disillusioned, shocked, comforted, and I    |                 --|--
have to transmit my mental experiences lest I die." |                 + | +
                     --  Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy    |  pduggan at world.std.com

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com