Subject: (whorl) Severian, the God

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 15:11:20 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Ranjit, sorry about this, but the urth list is coming in rather strangely
(it seems to refer back to sender instead of to the listserv):

Talon:

> 	I see Severian as a mere mortal that has put on immortality, and 
> other supernatural characteristics, through the workings of the 
> Increate/Pancreator, not through any innate qualities he may possess. His

> elevated station is the result of divine intervention. He is the 
> Increate's chosen instrument, just as Silk is the Outsider's. (I had to 
> work in some Whorl content for Ranjit).

I'm going to go out on a limb here (who, me?) and suggest that yes,
Severian starts as a mortal, but as a mortal observed (the undine). With
each successive "death," starting with the avernus, he becomes more of a
demi-god, like Hercules or Gilgamesh. The moment when he becomes a god
(here's the limb) is the moment of orgasm with Apheta when the New Sun is
formed.

That said, I reiterate that he is no way increate. He is transformed by
apotheosis, and the sexual moment of the transformation refers nicely back
to the Gnostic concept of our Earth having been malformed by having been
conceived asexually (by Sophia, for whom Apheta can stand in), whereas a
true world, an Ushas is a joint effort.

And no, of course I don't think Gene Wolfe is a Gnostic. I think he is a
Gnovelist.

And I think Severian is the Outsider.

-alga-