Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v001.n062

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 20:36:54 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

> I was under the impression that Nessus was below the equator, and that
> one had to travel north to reach the hot jungles at "the waist of the
> Urth". Urth's magnetic fields may have flipped several times, but I
> don't think that civilization would globally agree to swap the
> designations "north" and "south" at those times

Two words for you, mort: "plate tectonics" <g>. Remember Gondwanaland (not
literally, of course)? Continents migrate.

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com

---

From: Patera Jack <revjack at radix.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 03:37:28 +0000

On Sun, 16 Mar 1997 20:36:54 -0500, Alice Turner wrote:

: > I was under the impression that Nessus was below the equator, and that
: > one had to travel north to reach the hot jungles at "the waist of the
: > Urth". Urth's magnetic fields may have flipped several times, but I
: > don't think that civilization would globally agree to swap the
: > designations "north" and "south" at those times
: 
: Two words for you, mort: "plate tectonics" <g>. Remember Gondwanaland (not
: literally, of course)? Continents migrate.

Point taken - I seem to also recall that in Severian's day, Ocean
encircled Urth, which would indicate a bit of slippage.

Also, I...

*** OFF TOPIC ALERT *** OFF TOPIC ALERT *** OFF TOPIC ALERT ***

Whoops. OK, back to the Whorl. Regarding the Whorl's age, or how long
since its launch, I seem to remember a letter to Silk from Quetzal in
"Caldé" that bore an actual date: "30th Nemesis 332". 332 years since
launch? I have no idea what "30th Nemesis" means.

(BTW, I'd also like to see a separate Wolfe Appreciation mailing list
if such a thing comes to be.)

May every god favor you,

J
_________________
revjack at radix.net