Subject: (whorl) Silk as Pas; Hyacinth's mysterious past

From: David_Lebling <david_lebling at avid.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:32:27 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

While I was trolling for Tickisms, I found two quotes that I think are
very interesting.  Just thought I'd fly them by everyone.

(1)

"Silk found he was staring up at her; she smiled, and his spirit
melted." (IV, 346)

This one is part of Kypris's "temptation" of Silk.  We've discussed
previously whether he was incorporated into Mainframe.  It seems to me
that from what we know about the mechanics of possession, the answer has
to be "yes."  It's been established that looking at the monitor is what
does it, and Silk is clearly looking at this point.  It is immediately
after that we see Pas with Silk's head.  I think Kypris got him.  The
theological implications are interesting (in the Whorl and as
literature).  This is in some sense an Assumption.  It is also merciful
New Testament Jesus joining and presumably mellowing the jealous God of
the Old Testament.  And so on.  I know the statutory warnings that Silk
is more Moses than Jesus, but I find this interesting.

(2)

"You told me about that place, and I ve seen it, and it s horrible!"
(IV, 369)

This is when Hyacinth is about to run away. When did Hyacinth see the
landers, or the Sleepers' Chamber, or the smashed embryos? I don't think
this is just a reference to her visit to Mainframe. Is this more
evidence that she was even deeper into spying than we thought? As Tick
might say, "Buzzy laddie!"

     -vizcacha
     (david_lebling at avid.com)

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com