Subject: (whorl) Q&D

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 17:13:00 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Reply:  Item #9056575 from WHORL at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET02#

Speaking of deadlines . . .

This is a little advertisement to announce that I've come up with a
booklet titled "The Quick & Dirty Guide to the Long Sun Whorl"
(hereafter "Q&D").  I printed only fifty of them, and twenty are
gone already.  There will be no second printing--the next stage will
be something else entirely.  (This nebulous "next stage" has no
schedule, but judging by my other chapbooks it will probably take a
year or more to materialize.)

"Q&D" is =not= a finished product.  But for those who wish
they could have helped shape LEXICON URTHUS, this is the
opportunity to contribute to the formation of a potential new
book, tentatively titled GATE OF HORN, BOOK OF SILK.  (And yes,
people are already sending me valuable comments and corrections for
"Q&D.")

So if you have been re-reading THE BOOK OF THE LONG SUN with
enthusiasm and you think you'd like to contribute brainpower to a
new Wolfe reference work, then you will want "Q&D."  For those who
possess or have seen the "Additions, Errata, &cetera" chapbooks,
"Q&D" is three times the size and has smaller type--all told,
around 16,000 words.  Special entries on Calendar, Cities,
Families, Marriages, Men and Women, Musical Instruments, Musical
Tunes, Numerology, Paintings, Peach-colored, Possessions, Power
Groups, Relativistic Travel, Severian & Silk, Silk's Enlightenment,
Spectrums, Theophanies, and a very developed Timeline.

As usual for a micropress such as my own, I've already spent
the sweat and money (no blood or tears this time <g>) to make these
booklets.  So I'm selling them basically at cost plus postage, for $5.

To order yours, send me an e-mail note to reserve a copy.  After I
confirm your reservation please send me a check (made out to "Sirius
Fiction").  I have no idea how quickly these will sell out,
but since there are only thirty copies left they should go pretty
fast.  (If you missed out on "Additions, Errata, &cetera" volume
1 or volume 2, they are available for $1 [plus $1 p/h].  Or Special
Package Deal: all three chapbooks for $8 total.)

GATE OF HORN, BOOK OF SILK might never materialize.  In one
sense, "Q&D" is a trial balloon.  In another sense, it is the
reverse form of the LEXICON URTHUS process--in that case, I did
all the work and published the book, then amended (and continue to
amend) through chapbooks; in this case, stepwise refinement through
"Q&D" and its sequels will, in the best case scenario, result in a
finished work.

Michael Andre-Driussi
P.O. Box 6248
Albany CA 94706
USA
e-mail: M.Driussi at genie.com

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com

---

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 13:44:58 +0000

Me want all three. I'll send you $8.00 when you confirm.

James B. Jordan
318 - 17th St.
Niceville, FL 32578

I have a photocopier, and if you get too many orders and need some copies
run off in that form, I'll be glad to help.

Nutria