Subject: (whorl) Night chough trivia

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 14:57:00 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Reply:  Item #1304611 from WHORL at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET02#

"Another folk tradition holds that [King] Arthur lives on in the
form of a bird.  Cervantes tells us that the English believed that
their ancient hero assumed the form of a crow, and an 18th century
tourist in Cornwall was rebuked for shooting a raven, which might
have been Arthur.  The latest testimony from Cornwall takes the bird
to be a chough or a puffin" (FUNK & WAGNALLS STANDARD DICTIONARY OF
FOLKLORE, MYTHOLOGY, AND LEGEND).

As for politico-religious setting of the Whorl, we have the usual
multiple answer <g>:

(A) Hierax (carrion birds, black animals)
(B) Tartaros (black animals)
(C) Palustria (swamp of chough origins)
(D) All of the above
(E) All of the above, sometimes
(F) None of the above
(G) The Outsider (who restarted Oreb's ticker?)

Re: Tick, anybody else here reminded of LITTLE FUZZY by H. Beam
Piper?

=mantis=

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com