Subject: (whorl) Amazon.com

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 17:33:00 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Reply:  Item #3244542 from WHORL at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET02#

A number of people have recently ordered LEXICON URTHUS through
Amazon.com and are becoming concerned about the amount of time it is
taking to get their books.

The short answer is: LEXICON URTHUS is still available; the big
(thank you!) order to Amazon.com has been shipped--your books are on
their way; thank you for your patience; thank you for your orders!

The long answer is:

Sirius Fiction likes Amazon.com =a lot=.  In 1996 Amazon ordered
from Sirius several times and we had it down to a routine.

Then, without warning, the local company providing voicemail for Sirius
Fiction changed the Sirius voicemail phone number.

As a result, the happy routine of ordering from Sirius Fiction was
destroyed.  There was confusion.  While I don't know for certain, I
can easily imagine that folks at Amazon thought, "How sad, there goes
another micropress," since that is the most logical answer to the
mystery of a dead phone line.

However, through painstaking work on both sides, Amazon and Sirius
have formed a bridge over the crater, paved a new detour, plumbed a
new pipeline.  This construction has resulted in a regrettable delay,
and we thank our customers for their patience.  But now the ribbon is
cut, the traffic light is green, the main valve is open--the Amazon
order flows on a rising tide.

And future orders of LEXICON URTHUS from Amazon.com will not be so
delayed.

=mantis=

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com