Subject: (whorl) Chrasmological Writings

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 23:38:12 +0000

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

At 06:52 PM 4/3/97 -0500, alga wrote:
>
>Nutria, could you track down a root for Chrasmology? I'm sure you're right,
>though.

	Oh, well good ole Mantis has it as one option in his Q&DGTTLSW. I just
want to assure him that this is certainly the correct option.

Khresmos - oracle. The "e" is the long "e", the "eta," which has a bright
"ay" sound and can become the broad "a" sound as in "cat, bat, rat." The
final "s" drops off in compounds, as in khresmodoteo, "give an oracular
response." BTW, a related word, "khrisma," means "anointing," and is the
root for "Christos," the Anointed One. But here it is khresmo-, "oracular."

Logos - word, speech.

Khresmologia - oracular word.

Chrasmologic Writings would really just mean Oracular Writings, or more
complexly, Writings of Oracular Messages.

Nutria, the Big, Big Rat

Questions or problems to whorl-owner at lists.best.com