Subject: (whorl) Prochein Ami

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <ranjit at gradient.cis.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 14:08:02 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Here are some tidbits of information of dubious utility.  In
reading the newspaper I came across the term "next friend,"
which in a legal context apparently means something like a
legal guardian for someone incompetent to represent
him/herself, only not quite.  Curious as to how this applied
to Remora, who calls himself Quetzal's prochein ami, I did
some poking around and came up with some definitions that
were of no help whatsoever.  As a bloodsucking space
vampire, Quetzal probably does not in fact have any legal
rights under the charter, but I don't think that's what
Remora meant.

Anyway, I discovered this copy of Bouvier's 1856 Law
Dictionary (United States) on the web:

	http://pocari-sweat.jprc.com/~karl/govt/bouvier/bouvier1856.html

Here are some of the words I found in it.

PROCHEIN AMY, more correctly prochain ami. Next friend. 

NEXT FRIEND. One who, without being regularly appointed
guardian, acts for the benefit of an infant, married woman [!],
or other person, not sui juris. Vide Amy; Prochein Amy.

PROCHEIN. Next. This word is frequently used in composition;
as, prochein amy, prochein cousin, and the
like. Co. Lit. 10.

AMY or ami, a French word, signifying, friend. Prochein amy,
(q. v.) the next friend. Alien amy, a foreigner, the citizen
or subject of some friendly power or prince.  [Surely
Quetzal is an ALIEN AMY, or perhaps an ALIEN ENEMY - "Aliens
are either alien friends or alien enemies. It is only alien
friends who have the rights above enumerated; alien enemies
are incapable, during the existence of war to sue, and may
be ordered out of the country."]

Also:

AYUNTAMIENTO, Spanish law. A congress of persons the
municipal council of a city or a town. 1 White's Coll. 416; 12
Pet. 442, notes.

ALCADE, Span. law. The name of a judicial officer in Spain,
and in those countries which have received the body of their
laws from those of Spain.

PROLOCUTOR. In the ecclesiastical law, signifies a president
or chairman of a convocation.

COADJUTOR, eccl. law. A fellow helper or assistant;
particularly applied to the assistant of a bishop.

PROTHONOTARY. The title given to an officer who officiates
as principal clerk of some courts. Vin Ab. h. t.

And related to Mantis' derivation of "aquastor:"

QUAESTIO, Rom. civ. law. A sort of commission (ad
quaerendum) to inquire into some criminal matter given to a
magistrate or citizen, who was called quaesitor or quaestor
who made report thereon to the senate or the people, as the
one or the other appointed him.

QUAESTOR, The name of a magistrate of ancient Rome.

And as long as I'm here:

CARGO, mar. law. The entire load of a ship or other
vessel. Abb. on Sh. Index, h. t.; 1 Dall. 197;
Merl. Rep. h. t.; 2 Gill & John. 136. This term is usually
applied to goods only, and does not include human beings. 1
Phill. Ins. 185; 4 Pick. 429. But in a more extensive and
less technical sense, it includes persons; thus we say a
cargo of emigrants. See 7 Mann. Gr. 729, 744.

VOID, contracts, practice. That which has no force or
effect.  ["The sign of addition could not be the sign of
Pas, which was the voided cross." (paraphrased)]

Just in case you were wondering:

CRIB-BITING. A defect in horses, which consists in biting
the crib while in the stable. This is not, considered as a
breach of general warranty of soundness. Holt's Cas. 630.