Subject: (whorl) De gods and catholicism

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 17:08:07 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

	Just a couple of quickies in response to two different posts:

	1. It is no surprise if Catholicism exists 200 billion years in the
future, as far as Wolfe is concerned. It is the true religion, so it's
never going to disappear.

	2. The Christianity in Severian's culture is more Eastern Orthodox, but we
see little of it. It is much more "behind the scenes."

	3. As for the gods being real gods: Well, the real gods to which Wolfe
refers would be the angels and fallen angels who superintended the world
before the coming of Christ. This is taught in the Bible and in historical
Christian theology. Since Paul says that Christians battle against
"principalities, powers, thrones, and dominions," Wolfe sees such demonic
princes still active, though not as powerful.
	At the same time, I think it pretty clear that the gods of Whorl are
computerized, except for the Outsider. They are the remnants of men who
play at being gods or God. 
	That does not, however, answer the question about auguries from entrails.
An interesting question!

Nutria