Subject: Re: (whorl) Ask re: Oreb

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 02:35:00 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Reply:  Item #5465735 from WHORL at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET00#

Patrick,

Thanks for the first question!  (I suspect Gene Wolfe might answer
this question as worded by just mentioning the Bible bits that "Oreb"
is mentioned in; or he might say "Hebrew for `Raven'"; etc.  But
maybe not--he could very well tell us something about the bird from
Palustria.  In any case, if you'd like to further refine the question,
you've got a few days to do it in.)

Now are you going to come up with a disarming Vironese nickname or am
I just going to introduce you as "That guy, you know, you said
`=That= guy,' remember?"? <g>

=mantis=

---

From: Patri10629 <patri10629 at aol.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 09:52:37 +0000

Dear Mantis,

Thanks for the tips on Oreb. Hebrew for raven, biblical references--I had no
idea.

In a message dated 5/13/97 4:23:32 AM, you wrote:

<<In any case, if you'd like to further refine the question,
you've got a few days to do it in.)"

Geeze, I was hoping to save myself embarrassment by offering a terse and
obscure question--one freighted with import as a haiku. I expect Gene to
answer: "He's a Bird. Next." I just sense that there's much more to Oreb than
meets the eye--so to speak. Not sure how I can justify it. I'll think on it
and get back to you.

I'm delighted that Gene will submit himself to this inquisition.

I just going to introduce you as "That guy, you know, you said
`=That= guy,' remember?"?>>

I think I'm past the "that Guy" stage with Gene--I Hope so anyway! And,
forgive me, this whole nickname thing seems a bit strange to me. I'm Patrick.
Or Pat. Don't mean to be a party pooper, but I've never liked costumes or
Halloween. My own persona is deceptive enough, I hope. And I'm terrified of
getting the Vironese convention of naming wrong. 

Any more plans to make Q & D official?

PS: Damon Knight's THERE ARE BIRDS is magnificent. So is Patricia Anthony's
GOD'S FIRES. Am deep into Lew Shiner's GLIMPSES--very fine.

best

Patrick