Subject: (whorl) Two questions

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 19:53:00 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Lasrach,

Good question--we'll count it as one.

Patrick,

You're right of course, the question is like a haiku.  Plus, if you
expect Gene Wolfe to answer, "He's a Bird. Next," then it becomes
increasingly likely that he'll do something different.  Perfect as
is--you are now =forbidden= to change one iota! <g>

Re: "Any more plans to make Q & D official?"  I guess it depends upon
which definition of "official" you are using.  If you are asking have
I figured out the next intermediate step, the answer is yes, I think
so--but I've barely started making the motions.  If you are asking whether
Tor has any interest, or whether I've even bothered asking an employee of
Tor whether Tor has any interest, the answers are "I doubt it with
metaphysical certitude" and "No."  But I've probably missed your
meaning!

Long time passed you said you wondered what us English Majors would
make of some point.  What I want to know is--what does a guy have to
do to get a promotion in this organization?  I mean, I've been a
major for quite some time now . . . feeling stuck in a rut.  When's
the next word war, the next big battle of the books, and what's the next
rank--Cultural Custodian?  Literary Leftenant?  Private Keepout?

=mantis=